Monday, February 16, 2009

Little Tokyo Mall...R.I.P My old Friend

One of my favorite restaurants in Little Tokyo, I was told that they will not be closing down.

This past Sunday, the day after Valentine's Day. My wife, my mom and I made a depressing trip to Little Tokyo for Lunch. This Time I decided to go check out for myself about what happened at the Little Tokyo Mall. Once known to all as Yaohan Plaza. It was a sad site to see, all my favorite stores are now closed and empty with for Lease signs up. I was upset when I heard that some Korean Business men have bought the mall and that they are kicking all the Japanese Merchants out to be replaced with Korean shops instead. My favorite Japanese market was replaced by a Korean one. Normally I have no problem with Koreans, but I wished they would stay in there own neighborhood, Since they have their own Korea Town.

You noticed in one of my earlier posts about how Little Tokyo has changed, with all the new high cost condos going up, and stores like Office Depot, Johnny Rockets, Quiznos, and Starbucks . Plus I see more Korean Barbeque's and Boba places popping up too.

I am also pissed off about the lack of parking in the area too, this is mainly the fault of the new condos going up. I remember the days of old when they used to have the Nisei Week carnival in the lot across from JACCC, late into the night. I also miss the annual Spring Festival that JANM used to have before the new building was built. I know that things change and about impermanence...but our J-Towns are disappearing, we need to save what we have left for our future generations.
Below are some pictures of what used to be Yaohan Plaza in Little Tokyo.
Above was the Japanese Bookstore, where one can buy books in Japanese, as well as Manga and Magazines. Below are various pictures of the emptiness. The first picture shows the Clock tower gone. Pics of what used to be the bowling alley, and of empty store fronts.





This one I think is staying too.

No comments:

Post a Comment