Thursday, May 7, 2009

Little Tokyo History Booklet Project

A friend and I are working on a small book on the history of Little Tokyo, with info on the shops and restaurants of Little Tokyo, stating a little bit of the history of the shops. It will probably be a pocket size book, catered to the New people moving into the Little Tokyo condos. A guide book of the Little Tokyo we know. You are probably thinking what experience do I have to write a book on the history of Little Tokyo? I have been a part of Little Tokyo since I was 16.

I was one of the first Volunteers of the Japanese American National Museum, when the museum didn't exist as a museum yet. Back when their office was on 3rd and Traction in the Arts District near Little Tokyo. Been a volunteer in the old Nishi Honganji Building when JANM first opened. I worked in the Legacy Center on the Camp Computer, helping people who were interned look for their files, I was also a photographer working with Norman Sugimoto and the other staff of the museum. I seemed to have been closer to the staff of JANM then to the volunteers. I have experience helping set up and take down exhibits, Museum store experience too. More like a Jack of all trades. I was also a part of the Outreach committee, worked at a few JANM events away from the museum.

My other experiences in Little Tokyo include, being a Volunteer for A3M, being on the staff of AISAREMA/Disorient, A member and Brief President of the local APAN-JACL chapter, Helped out at JACCC and was also a member of Zenshuji Buddhist Temple and their Zazenkai for a year.
I have always been interested in the history of Little Tokyo...so from all that I have posted, there should be no problem with me writing a book on the History of Little Tokyo. we hope that we wont have a problem with the Little Tokyo Historical Society, Until recently I never heard of their group. Seems like they are hiding in the shadows of Little Tokyo. Why is it so hard to find info on their organization, or a email address? Who knows.

I know there is a need for Historical books on Los Angele's Little Tokyo, they are pretty scarce, there is one book that Visual Communications had published but unfortunatly its out of print. Have you ever walked into a bookstore looking for a book on the History of Little Tokyo, well I have and always ended up coming out empty handed and upset. I will be starting a group on facebook to start recruiting people for our own organization. If anyone want to help out with our book project please comment on this blog, or email me on facebook. Til next time, stay safe and cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment